Saturday 19 June 2010

Playing Nirvana's 'Come As You Are' Intro

So it's just over two weeks since I started practicing, and I thought I'd get into some of the things I've been working on. First off is the song in the post title, which I mentioned in my 'Tablature' post. It's not the easiest intro I've been playing but it is amongst them and unlike the others it's reasonably long (15 notes). You also don't have to worry too much about the tuning, as standard tuning sounds close enough for casual practice. It's played suprisingly fast in the song, but you can work up to that speed as it sounds fine played at a slower speed.

Here's the song:


This is the tab for the intro - if you can learn this you can play the first 50 seconds of the song! As I said in one of my previous posts, the first '0' is only played the first time around, after that you begin at the second '0' after the second line.

d|--|-------------------------------------------------------------| 
A|--|-------------------------------------------------------------|
F|--|-------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--|-------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--|-------0---0---------2-----2---------------------------------|
D|-0|0-1-2---2---2-2-1-0---0-0------------------------------------|

If you are having difficulty try watching the video below. Normally by themselves there aren't too helpful, but combined with the tab above you should have a good idea of what's going on. Bear in mind he is playing with standard tuning, which is why it sounds a bit higher pitched than in the video above. If you tune your guitar as shown on the left hand side of the tab above then it will sound better.



I won't post the tab for the entire song because I can't find one that actually plays right (even the one that I took the intro from). I used this song to practice plucking the strings without looking at them (as it's only the top two strings this is nice and easy), to get used to switching fingers/frets and to practice keeping a rhythm.

So I definitely recommend starting with this if you want to get straight into playing a song! I'll post up some of the other ones I've been trying to play soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment